Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Thing # 12 -- Social Media

When I first looked at the recommended Social Media sites, Mixx, Digg, Newsvine and Reddit, my thoughts were, "this is not something that I would use". However, after spending more time with each of the sites, I could see where they could be useful, and time-saving when researching any given subject.

Of the four sites, I liked the layout of Mixx the best. I liked the way it was categorized and the FAQ questions had the answers right under them. On the Digg site, in FAQ, when you clicked on the question, the answer dropped down below the question. I liked that too.

One of the stories listed on Mixx was "Social media - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia" which gave a good description of what it is and also gave examples of other social media sites, such as "Social bookmarking: Del.icio.us and StumbleUpon".

Reading news articles on favorite web sites, I've often wondered what all the buttons stood for at the bottom of the page. The last time I read an article, not only could I name all the buttons, but I also had a better understanding of what they were all about. Cool!

No comments: