Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Thing # 10 - Wikis

What is a Wiki? A Wiki is a shared web site where users can add, remove or edit content. The Common Craft Video on Wikis was presented in a very easy to understand format. I think a Wiki could be very useful in a library setting, for staff to communicate with each other and also for gathering information from patrons, who might not otherwise send email to the library. I like the concept of adding to or editing one document versus looking at many different emails.

I checked out some of the Wikis that were offered. - the SJCPL Subject Guide Family History (Genealogy) which I found well-layed out and good information on how to get started on Genealogy. I liked the Princeton Public Library Book Lover's Wiki, a good source for finding new reading material. The Albany County Public Library Staff Wiki on documenting procedures could be useful not only in a Library setting but in any business setting as well.

Limiting information by format - the example given that some teachers/faculty "ban" Wikipedia as a source for student research. In some circumstances, I think this is okay, especially in grade/high school. In a higher education setting, this could be a draw back.

I added an entry to the "23 Things on a Stick" Wiki.

No comments: